Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Marble hurts

(oops. Here's one more...written March 28th.)

Another day in the life of Sarah.

Yesterday after lunch, I head over to the courthouse to pick up a display board from my friend at the extension office. She is letting me borrow it for my booth at a health fair this weekend. Of course her office is on the 3rd floor and the courthouse is one of the only buildings in town that has more than 1 floor, so I always take the stairs...the very hard, shiny, non-padded, marble stairs. I pick up the big display board, leave her office, and head back to the stairs. I make it down about 2 and I don’t know what happens, other than I trip over my own damn foot. I’m carrying this huge display board bag, am diving face first down a flight of stairs, and am crunching toes, ankles, knees, wrists, elbows, etc. as I go down. I finally think to let go of the damn board and grab for the railing...which scrapes the crap outta my arms and legs as I continue to keep falling. I finally get to the bottom, laying there in a heap of a mangled, twisted up, bruised, already swollen, bloody, scraped up, confused, embarrassed, pissed off mess.

Believe it or not, I did not scream, yell, cuss, or make any sound as I went down those stairs...other than the huge thud I’m sure my body made hitting each stair! I cannot fathom it, but no one in that courthouse heard or saw me fall! So, once I caught my breath, I got up and got the hell outta of there before I lost it and started sobbing. (This ticked my dad off....what if you broked something and no one knew you fell in there...blah, blah, blah...whatever...I tripped on my own foot dad.) I make it to my car and start freaking. Drive to my house which is about a block and everything is swollen, there is skin missing, my entire body was jacked up, and then...my head and face started tingling AND I started puking. I didn’t recall hitting my head at all. That is when I really freaked out. So I talked to a friend who made me get over there immediately. I was fighting hard not to fall asleep also. So everyone was convinced I had a concussion...but I wouldn’t go to the ER (because I was there a couple weeks ago if you remember...for my gay swollen eyelid!) because what can they do for a concussion anyway?! So I had already scheduled for a massage for 6pm and thought that would be perfect. When I got there she told me it would make it worse and I’d have to wait, not to use heat (in other words, no hot tub either), only ice and to watch for specific signs when I start to go to sleep.

So last night when I finally go to bed, can you say PARANOID?!?!

My friend Marcy thinks I should just start wearing protective headgear. My dad thinks I should pay more attention to what I’m doing and work out my quad muscles more so my knees stop giving out (which is humorous, because he has the same problem). I think I should just never leave my house unattended again!!! Seriously. So, if you don’t see me for awhile...you know why. I’m a danger to myself and possibly society! ha

No comments: