Friday, February 15, 2008

Teethies

Let's take a poll.

How many of you actually brush your dogs teeth?
How many of you take your dog to get their teeth "cleaned" at the vet?

I have actually heard of brushing your dogs teeth, but in my entire life, I can say I have never done this, nor has anyone I know (that I remember). After my smaller dogs breath continued to get more and more fowl, I finally asked my dear friend Joy (the vet tech- poor gal- gets all my 9 million worried pet questions) if it could mean she has a bad tooth. She said yes, and I began what seemed like the never-ending battle with little Josie for her let me see her teeth. When I finally did, I realized, that the poor little pup has at least 1 if not more, that are definitely rotten. So, both dogs had to go in a few weeks ago to be knocked out, have their teeth cleaned, and have whatever needs pulled, extracted. And Josie had to start on antibiotics the week prior and stay on em for 10 days because of the infection in her tiny mouth. This fun little excursion to ensure I'm a good pet owner and mommy you KNOW was going to set me back a pretty penny...and of course, being my over analytical psycotic self, I now feel like all my past pets were mistreated and abused. What if they, too, had rotten teeth that hurt like hell and needed removed? And I just let them live out their days in paing and agony actually hating me.

Does this mean I'll start brushing Josie and Gabby's teeth. Doubtful, I'll probably take the easy road and just take them in for cleanings whenever they are suggested. Good lord, I'm retarded. I need pet insurance. I don't know anyone that really has that, but I'm starting to think it might be a good plan.

***UPDATE***
The dogs are fine. Didn't die or anything as I had feared. ha Poor little Josie did have to have 2 teeth removed and the one that I had been concerned about, pretty much just came out when he touched it. $407 later...their little puppy teeth are sparkling and their breath is a much less revolting! ha

No comments: