Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Go white girl, Go white girl, GO!


I've always claimed I've got mad skills on the dance floor. I can shake my money maker with the best of em. I can do one of the best "Running Man, Sprinkler, Cabbage Patch, Roger Rabbit, Lawn Mower, Shoulder Dance" mixes you've ever seen! (Now if only I could master the Harlem Shake I'd be a happy girl!)
This past Friday, we had our annual Halloween Dance for the kids in our program and for the community. It was a blast. There were a lot more kids there this year, a lot more parents, and a lot more community members that came to see the kids costumes. We even had part of the local "line-dancing" club come and cut a rug all night long! (Seriously, who knew there were THAT MANY line dances? And who knew you could find one for any kind of music?)
Anyway, I tried to get the kids started dancing, you know break the ice. So obviously when Mony Mony came on...I had to start singing and dancing to encourage the group of kids I was standing with to do the same. You should have seen the look of horror on their faces! Their eyes got huge, their cheeks red, and they all VERY quickly walked away from me. Not one to embarrass easily...I just laughed, said, OH COME ON! This is a classic! ..and kept dancing....by myself, with the adults and kids trying not laugh at me. A few songs later, the kids were over the shock and were all dancing. Then, no matter where I tried to sneak off to and hide...they kept finding me and making me dance. Yep, I had to do the Chicken dance, the Macarena, the Electric slide, and few I had never seen. The apparent fave these days is"Soldier Boy"...as they requested it numerous times and made me attempt to learn the dance every time. Talk about embarrassing. I gave up on that one. Also had to give up on the one that kept making you go as "low as you could go"...because I'm apparently too old and arthritic and had difficulties getting back up! Which again, they thought was hilarious.
Whatever! All I know is, I had fun, the kids had fun, and I'm sure the adults had a blast laughing at me too. BUT, I went to the junior high to eat with a young girl yesterday, and at recess (since when do they get recess in junior high???) I was the "cool kid" by far! YES! FINALLY! Now I can finally say I've made it! And, I'm convinced, it's all because of ...you guessed it...my mad skills on the dance floor!
So next time you see me..watch out! I might call you out for a dance off! Trust me, I've done it before..in downtown Denver! And I so rocked it too! =)

2 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

Mad, like you are crazy insane.

Love it. Did you make a lot of money at the dance? I mean BBBS, not you personally with all your mad dancing skills.

Recess in Jr. High? What?!!!?

SUPER said...

We made more than last year...it's not really a fundraiser as much as it is just an activity for the kids in the community and our program AND a way to get our name out there.

Yep..they get recess...and it was like 20 minutes long! Not fair..I want a redo!