Sunday, July 01, 2007

Why do people seem to WANT me to have a breakdown?!

Frightening as it was for me, I have now given in and had my hair done by 2 different women here in G-town. My Aunt Kathy has done my hair since I was in grade school and rocks, so this was somewhat traumatizing for me. The first woman I went to, I just needed a trim and wanted some bangs. I'm always nervous when the person doing my hair, hasn't seemed to take the time to do her own. This was such the case. Still, I let her chop away. The cut was okay, the bangs weren't quite what I had wanted, but I was too scared to ask for more to be cut off.

The next visit to a local salon, I needed highlights...desperately. It had been WAY too many months. I chose a different salon and made the appointment. I should say, both ladies were pleasant and overall kind people. This woman, however, asked more questions and conversated much more. Which led to the inevitable..."I know the perfect man I should set you up with...he's in the process of getting divorced and only has 18 million kids....but you'd be SO GREAT together!" This led to me that feeling of vomit building up in my throat. But I held it in..that would have been embarrassing. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough...as she's sectioning off my hair and applying highlights...(and please remember I just met this woman about 10 minutes previously)...she says, "Oh, you have some gray hairs!"

WHAT?! I said, "Gray hair!!!??? What? You're kidding me!!!" I think she noticed the terror in my voice and panic in my eyes. She then calmly said, "Oh, well actually it might just be really really blond hair."

My heart slowed to a more normal pace and I exhaled. "Yes. You're probably right. I'm sure that's what it is", I stated.

Then we moved on to much more normal conversation...you know, like what other men she could set me up with.

I left that salon thinking I was aging way too quickly, a loser for still being single...yet still loving that I found this hair stylist...because my hair rocked! I'll still stick with my Aunt Kathy, whenever I can get home, but if in a crunch...I know where I can go for good hair and a depressing hour of realizing I'm old, alone, and seem to be the focus of every match maker in town. sigh.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From someone a year older: The gray hairs are coming fast and furious. I am strategically plucking those that are visible to the outside world and pretending the rest don't exist. And everybody and their mother wants to set me up (especially after I just moved) -- but at least I don't have the pressure of living in the Midwest. We're not old ... we're not old ... we're not old ...

SUPER said...

Yes...my sister had me pluck some a couple years ago. I thought it was so funny I made someone take pictures of me doing it! NOW...it's not funny at all dang it!

David Cho said...

Let's see some pictures.

So are the guys' kids from 5 different mothers? LOL!

What I always get is worse. Whenever people spot a single Korean woman, they think of me.

Geez, she's Korean, and I'm Korean. We must have SO MUCH in common.

Ya know, you are still very young, but the midwest may not be the place for you.

SUPER said...

Unfortunately for me, not only am in stuck in the midwest for now...I'm also in tiny town USA. A town of 5000 people. There's really no hope for me is there?! ha

Stephen Daniel Lewis said...

Now I know all the reasons I only allow my mom to cut my hair. Thank you.

KM said...

Kathy rocks at hair. I haven't ever gotten a fancy cut from her just trims... but everyone loves her.
And I don't think your aging too quickly. You look beautiful.

SUPER said...

Ah...I got a trim from her while I was home this weekend. May have her do the bangs shorter when I go back this weekend. Who knows when I'll be back after that...could be Thanksgiving! ha