Friday, May 04, 2007

Questions I need answered

So, because of situations some of my friends are dealing with, and my own family...I've been forced to think about my own inevitable death. My sister, Amy, had her will drawn up a few years ago and I thought she was crazy. We're young, single, with really...not much of anything for people to fight over once we're gone! (Although, I did make her put one piece of her furniture in her will for me...is that tacky? SHE ASKED ME what I wanted!!)

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1. As I said, I own stuff....but none of it's paid off...you know, like my house, my car, my new hot tub!!! I mean...someone could probably use all of those things, but if I died today they'd really just be getting another payment of their own, right? So, as I already said...is there a point of a will right now?

2. Wills....what all goes in a will? Is it just that type of stuff...what goes to who? Or is that where you say what you want to happen to you once your gone? For instance...my mom wants to donate her body to KU Medical School..we had a family member that did that and she thought it was a brilliant plan. She also only wants a memorial service and wants me or my sisters to sing Happy Trails. If you don't know my mom...she's a bit of a whack job! But anyways, does that stuff go in the will? If so, then perhaps I should go ahead and deal with it?

3. Don't laugh too hard or make fun...but the thing I'm most concerned about is who will take care of my dogs?! I KNOW neither of my sisters will. My parents probably would or my Aunt Janet and Uncle Dan. Januea...they love you! Joy you could adopt them too! I kid you not, when I sat down and thought about all this a few weeks ago, this was the one thing that made me really upset. I want to know someone that loves them as much as I do will take them!! So, any volunteers?!

4. My other thought...since I'm not married (sorry mom), who has to foot the bills of me dying? My parents? A sibling? The state? I don't know shit. I mean, am I supposed to have money set aside for this stuff? That doesn't seem like a fun way to enjoy my hard earned paycheck.

5. What really does happen to any debts I owe? Like my house...does the mortgage company just take the house back? Does a family member have to take care of it since there currently is no husband in the picture? I'm clueless.

6. What do I want...cremation, burial, donate organs (the ones that aren't messed up anyway), or follow my mom's plan of giving my dead nastiness to KU? Really, how is one to decide something so bizarre. I kind of feel that it would be a waste to pay for a box to put me in, but burning myself up seems a bit freaky. And although I'm sure I'm a great case for medical students to study, the thought of that is almost so disgusting, that I'd rather not even think about it.

7. A living will...Amy did you do this? Is this a separate will or can it be added into the other? I don't want to live as a vegetable..although sometimes I think I already am. I think this would be an important thing to think about.

8. Although I'm not quite as extreme as my mom wanting Happy Trails at her memorial...I don't want some sad, depressing, funeral or memorial. I just want people to remember what it was they loved about me..whether it's good or bad...and share those memories and stories with one another, laugh, and maybe even have a beer in my memory! (or a shot- either a lunchbox or hypnotic and redbull).

9. I don't want to die for a really long time...


So, if any of you have any knowledge or thoughts on this subject, please share. If you know me, you know I'm not a morbid person...and not always the most organized..but perhaps this is one area where I should be more prepared.

8 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

Talk to a lawyer who specializes in wills, etc. It's a last will and testament, something that says who you were can be included - your testamony to life.

I had insurance on my house so that if I died it was paid off in full and then I did a TOD, transfer on death, meaning it didn't have to go through probate. Mom and Dad are the executers of the will so that they have to take care of everything and make sure people get what I say they should get. They get everything else. Living will is different and seperate. I actually just talked to a lawyer about all of this stuff on Tuesday, odd.

Seriously. Talk to the folks lawyer, they've done all of this and then get it done. Take all of these questions or send them in advance. Know what you are doing and signing and do it.

David Cho said...

As to your house, I am sure there is some equity built in, so it is worth something.

I don't have a will, and I hate the thought of even a penny going to the state. Hmm..something to think about.

And the dog. My sister is not a dog person, so no I am not trusting her with Noah.

rubyslipperlady said...

Plan now. Do it!

How's that girl in Denver?

David Cho said...

The girl in Denver?

Are you talking to me?

SUPER said...

Nah...she was asking me about a friend that had heart surgery. Silly!

David Cho said...

I wanted to tell you.

You inspired me to get this done, and I did it. Used LegalZoom.com to get it done for $60. Since my will isn't very complicated and I don't have any children, it was really easy.

Now I can die.

KM said...

You are not going to crock any time soon! haha
But it doesn't hurt to draw up a will. It helps the family definitely.

SUPER said...

Legalzoom.com. I've looked at it and I'm going to use this too.

Thanks David!