Sunday, January 07, 2007

When will it end?

So the 2 snowstorms that have come through Colorado and Western Kansas are still wreaking havoc for many. For me, it's merely been an annoyance, but has not left me without power. I will say, my town does not have a grocery store...only Wal-Mart. It was just a few days ago that trucks were able to get here with milk and bread. It was very bizarre to go to the store and see complete aisles empty.

Many Kansans lost power and some are still without. For some areas, they say it could be weeks before they get it all back up. I do not know of any human casualties caused by the snowstorm, although I'm sure there have been many wrecks. On the news the other night...they showed 3 semi-truck trailers full of dead cattle. Ranchers are using helicopters to drop hay bales to cattle they cannot reach yet. Some cattle they still have not found, because the herds are literally buried in the snow.

I ran a quick errand today, came home and pulled my car into the garage. As I got out and started walking to the door, I stopped in horror and screamed at the top of my lungs.

(Poor little guy! Found dead in my garage.)
THIS is the first casualty of the storm that I have witnessed first hand. It took everything within me not to call someone (basically anyone but me) to come dispose of the bird. But, I sucked it up and took care of it myself (which I thought was quite brave of germaphobe-self!!!). I have no idea how the bird made its way into my garage, but I was so sad about it. I've been a bit worried that mice might try to move into the garage or my house to get away from the cold, but I had not imagined that a bird would try the same.

I was shocked the day I heard on tv that my small town had officially closed ALL streets in the city limits. I've never heard of such a thing. This is what are streets STILL look like:

(This is Main Street, which is much better than most streets...but
they all still have huge piles of snow right down the middle!)

Sadly, while many are still being drastically affected by the previous storms, there is another snowstorm on its way. We are supposed to have snow starting Thursday and staying all weekend. The reports are showing that this storm may be worse than the previous two. So, for all of you enjoying a little sunshine and warmth...remember to pray for a little of that to make its way to KANSAS!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder -- sometimes I forget why I elected to pay ridiculous amounts of money for rent and put up with absurd traffic on the freeways. Suddenly, it's all coming back to me!!!

rubyslipperlady said...

I am soooo proud of you for taking care of that bird. I think I would've called someone. Look at you! You're growing!

I'm praying. Make sure you get to the store and have batteries and gas in your car (you probably won't be able to go anywhere, but that's not the point).

SUPER said...

Surely that is at least 1 year less of therapy that I need! I'm supposed to go to the LK this weekend...maybe I'll get stuck and not able to get back!

rubyslipperlady said...

I forget and don't like LK. It's stupid.

David Cho said...

Good luck with the weather situation. Sounds awful. Things I take for granted here in SoCal.

SUPER said...

The new storm is supposed to hit tonight. Supposed to be lots of freezing drizzle tonight til tomorrow afternoon and then change to snow for the next couple days. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

This is why people that complain about the unseasonably warm weather here in the east need to get a grip. We'll be getting ours at some point.

Spring can't come too soon for you guys. Stay safe.

SUPER said...

Just a quick update...it's snowed 2 more times here. Last week it was only about 2 or 3 inches. This weekend...another 7. And the snow from the first storm before Christmas is still hasn't melted. I think I moved to hell!