Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In case you ever wondered...

SCOOPING POOP IN THE FROZEN TUNDRA.

This is my current dilemna. You basically have 2 options. Follow your dog to the backyard and try to catch it with the pooper scooper as they take care of business OR wait like you normally would and try scooping the poop every few days or so.

Let's discuss the first option: Catching it as they go. You can't really let them go and THEN go try and scoop it up. Trust me, it just makes a mess and you tend to smush it everywhere BUT into the pooper scooper. However, the dogs unfortunately are not really to keen on the idea of me standing behind them with the scary metal scooper under their rears (nor am I for that matter). They get stage fright and run off...pooping as they go, spreading the steaming joy all over the yard, instead of in one general location.

Option #2 (pun intended): You let the dogs have their moment of privacy (why I'll never know, cause they always want to come to the bathroom with me and even sit on my lap! NO...I DON'T LET THEM!!) So you go out ever few days to scoop the mess...but you find that because of all the snow melting, refreezing, snowing more, blah, blah, blah...it takes great strength and patience to take care of it. See, sometimes, the warm doggie poop sinks into the snow and sometimes it sits nicely on top. Either way it's frozen solid and you have to use the pooper scooper to chip away at it to get it dislodged or dug up from it's snow tunnel. This is where the patience and strength come in. Remember it's freezing cold outside, so you quickly run out of both ...perhaps after about 4 or 5 doggy piles...which still leaves a LOT left. The other problem with this is that when you begin chipping away to get the poop dislodged...more often than not, little pieces begin to fly...inevitably hitting you..the loving pet owner that is just trying to make your dogs life a bit cleaner.

Sigh...I've thought about taking a hair dryer out to melt some of the dang snow. Then I decided that would waste too much energy, time, and effort with much too little to show for it. Other than a muddy and steamy poop landfill of a backyard.

**************************************************

Random side note: In 4th grade we had a project in which we had to invent something that would be useful and affordable to the average American. Although my dad was usually the one to help with math and science, my mom helped me with this particular project. Our plan was to invent a dog food that some how had magnetic forces in it...so that when you went to scoop the poop with your magnetized metal pooper scooper, it automatically went right where it was supposed to.
You would, of course, want to limit the amount of it that your dog ate...because you would NOT want to get pelted by hundreds of steaming doggie bullets the moment you lifted the scooper!
****************************
SECOND SIDE NOTE: YES...my mom is a riot! I'm not sure how my teacher felt about that invention...but my mom was a teacher at the same school...so I'm sure I got an A!! ha

9 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

I do not remember that projct, but I'm certain Miss Borden loved it.

The fact that you apparently have tried to catch the poo as it is excreted is sick. And you want another dog to fill up your back yard with steaming ickiness?

SUPER said...

I had Mrs. Atkinson. Borden was 1st at that time.

I didn't really try to. I thought about and started laughing hysterically and ran over towards Josie with the scooper is hand. She, of course, took off..pooping as she tried to waddle/run away.

And yes...because she is cute!

Kansas said...

Ewww... reason #1 why I'm not a pet owner.

Friar Tuck said...

I am all about leaving it for another day. Here is the advantage...you can get in your grubbies and get all of the mess at once, and then throw the clothes in the laundry. As for the snow...why not wait until it melts.

That comment reminded me of living in alaska, where spring was met with melting of snow and all sorts of mess everywhere (months of dog manure, litter, and sometimes ash from the volcano)

rubyslipperlady said...

See, Rubes, at least you don't have volcanic ash to contend with there.

SUPER said...

Stacie...Since it doesn't look like I'll EVER get married...at least with the dogs there is someone there and excited to see me every time I come home! ha

Clint...I can't wait until it melts!! The doggies would be running around in their own feces which would be awful..AND I'd then be scooping for weeks!

David Cho said...

Option #3: Move to Southern California. You will melt upon meeting Noah.

rubyslipperlady said...

David! Do not tempt her with more dogs! Are you insane? She'll come to SOCAL and TAKE Noah and you'll never see him again.

I'm all for dogs, really, I am, but I love the freedom of not having to worry about running home to feed/run whatever my beasts.

I am glad that you both have wonderful critters to love.

SUPER said...

I would NEVER steal someone's pet...Unless they were cruel to them or something. Then I most certainly would!