Monday, August 06, 2007

The Fair

So my sister, Amy (who has asked that I quit referring to her as "the older" sister, even though she is), LOVES the fair...specifically any STATE FAIR. She's obsessed, really. It's quite entertaining for others to witness though. Here are some of the reasons she can't stay away:

1. She enjoys trying ANY food that is fried: cheese, twinkies, oreos, pickles, corn, snickers, etc.
2. She really loves trying all the food that is "on a stick". (Last year she bought a shirt at the Minnesota state fair that listed all the foods you could find on a stick at the fair...and marked them off as she ate them). She's had all sorts of random foods this way.
3. She likes hanging out with her friends and walking around (to help work off the food she is consuming as she goes).
4. She loves random bizarre things, such as: butter sculptures, the world's largest pumpkin, and those cutouts that you stick your face in and take dumb pictures of!
5. She enjoys and appreciates the various concerts you can catch at a fair.

Reasons I don't like the fair:

1. The HEAT! Haven't you noticed almost NONE of the fair buildings in the world are air conditioned..even though we are living in 2007 and Willis Haviland Carrier
invented the first electrical air conditioning in 1902!!!!
2. Fried foods are bad (but I do love me some funnel cake!)
3. Food on a stick is just wrong and quite frankly...scares me.
4. Butter sculptures melt, pumpkins rot, and I don't need anymore stupid pictures of myself!
5. I do enjoy going to the concerts...but I can do that anytime of the year...preferrably either when it's cooler outside or at an INDOOR venue!!


The fair here in Goodland is quite different than that which I am used to. They do not have a carnival that comes in to town. OH NO! They have their own rides and games, because the crime rate was increasing way too much during fair week while all the carneys were in town. So they bought some seriously antiquated rides and then they beg people around town to run them and the games. Now, I already had a booth for my job, I worked 3 different days in the Kiwanis food kitchen, and then they called and asked me to do one of the kids games. I said I would for two nights. Ended up being the kid train..which is barrels hooked together and pulled behind a golf cart ...just around the fairgrounds. YES...for those of you that have been in a car with me...they asked ME to drive the kiddie train. I did not kill, mame, or even harm a single child or bystander. However, with all the different booths and the heat and working my regular job...I must admit...I'm so glad the fair is over!

Oh yeah, and 1 of the nights I did ride some rides with friends. First it was the sizzler...which I swear gave me whiplash, then the tilt-a-whirl which we couldn't get to spin much, and then the swings. I'm not sure if it's just been so long since I've rode any rides, if I'm just totally lame, or if almost being 30 is affecting me...but I almost blew chunks on the swings! My eyes were watering and I had that awful feeling working itself into my throat. I told my friend I thought I was going to puke....he laughed. I said, no really...if this ride doesn't end....I'm gonna puke. The ride ended and I went and sat on a bench while they rode some more rides. Suck! Whatever...it's over...until next year anyway!

P.S. Random fact: nacho cheese that you pump out of the machine...if you overshoot the cup and it lands on your hand...I swear it causes a 3rd degree burn. The guys in the Kiwanis booth with me thought I was being dramatic I'm sure, but then they saw the blister and that my finger was red and swollen! I didn't make anymore nachos that day! They(the nachos)are evil I'm pretty sure and I still have a huge blister that is shaped like a heart. I should take a picture and post it on here for you entertainment. NAH...that's gross.

24 comments:

Stephen Daniel Lewis said...

1. In theory, I think tri-state fairs should be better than state fairs. But They're probably the same.

2. Food on a stick is good. Especially if you don't have forks and spoons. I like corn dogs on a stick better than the mini-corndogs that aren't on one.

3. If you drove the kiddie train, I hope there were no garage doors around.

SUPER said...

The best thing about the state fair was the year I did the superman, pull your own rip cord, and fly threw the air ride. It was hilarious!
Food on a stick is BAD..and corn dogs?! Yuck. I don't think I've eaten a hot dog since like 1st grade!
No garage doors in sight..just lots of people that kept walking in front of me. I didn't hit any of them though...I promise!

KM said...

wooow you haven't eaten a hot dog since 1st grade and you live in america?
thats impressive. im impressed.
don't give into the evil food!

rubyslipperlady said...

The fair rocks, plain and simple.

Food on a stick rocks almost more.

You not killing anyone on the kiddie train is an achievement for all to recognize.

I love all things Fairish, particularly blogs that make me laugh so hard I'm not making any noise and tears are coming to my eyes. Especially when the comments are just as good.

BTW: Steve: pronto pups are waaaaay better than corn dogs.

SUPER said...

Kassia...as soon as I heard an adult say hot dogs were made from "lips and assholes" I never ate them again! ha
Amy, you are a freak! Okay, I actually do kinda like the fair...I would just like it a lot more if it was in a different month..you know...one that wasn't 9 million degrees outside! ha

KM said...

really lips and assholes?!
ahhh... that makes me soooo soo sad.

David Cho said...

Isn't a fair usually a COUNTY fair, not STATE?

rubyslipperlady said...

David, David, David.

You have a lot to learn, I see.

There are county fairs, yes, and they are good and worth visiting. But the supreme experience is a state fair. And a State Fair is not the same everywhere. There are some superior to others. Minnesota, home of food on a stick, is one of the tops. And while I'll always remain faithful to my homestate of KS, it's fair is totally different and small (you cannot see everything at the MN fair in one day, seriously).

Man, I love the fair. You know, I am actually wearing my fair shirt at this moment. yippee!

David Cho said...

Given the size of California, I doubt we have a state fair. Sounds like hick stuff to me.

SUPER said...

David...seriously?! OF COURSE California has a state fair...in fact, you guy cheat and have more than 1!

California State Fair: //www.bigfun.org/fair/index.asp

AND

California Mid State Fair: http://www.midstatefair.com/pages/3864/

Check em out.

rubyslipperlady said...

Super, you've done me proud. God Bless America and State Fairs!

David Cho said...

I didn't say California didn't have any hicks :D

rubyslipperlady said...

hicks!?!? David, honey, it takes ALLLL kinds to make the fair worthwhile. Take a seat on a slightly sticky bench and watch the parade go by. Some of the best people watching in the world!

I admit, there are often a whole lotta Wranglers and boots, but there's a fair share of leather and tats as well.

Friar Tuck said...

Common ride it. Ride the train. TOOT TOOT

tonymyles said...

We lived across the street from a fair once.

You know how those rides always blast music loud and there's a real gritty DJ shouting at people hopping on a mechanism that takes the backward at 98 mph?

And they play the same music all day and night?

That was during the year The Macarena came out.

I can still see my dog trying to do the moves.

SUPER said...

David...us hicks are people too!! ha

And Amy is right, there are usually a lot of random people at the fair...bikers, teenagers, old diehards, hicks, and lots of community/business leaders out to promote their business/and our themself!

Clint, as a train conductor I rocked...although I'm pretty sure Union Pacific would think I was too dangerous a driver! ha

Tony, thanks for visiting my blog. I hate that ride that goes backgwards...can't think of what it's called. Cyclone maybe? And the Macarena was an injustice to society. I'm pretty sure it made my ears bleed...although the vision of any dog doing the dance moves is quite entertaining!

David Cho said...

I went to Orange County Fair a few weeks ago. Will have to write about that. Yes, lots of biker types with tatoos.

So are there America fairs I'm missing out? Or Continent Fairs? Earth Fair? Planet Fair? Galaxy Fair?

Yeah, I'd go to the Galaxy Fair.

Anonymous said...

ubcjTZ Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

yrVYWm Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.